Holiday season is here now, so I decided to think on what to prepare during Christmas parties.
This time, I will try not to spoil those I love when choosing my holiday menu. My addiction in baking has made a huge effect in my diet that is why I decided to change it to a little healthier way.
Starting off by replacing some fatty ingredients, like substituting butter with olive oil. Using a natural olive oil makes the pound cake much lighter, the texture spongier and tastier and healthier too.
As a part of these changes I did, I did not tell anyone I am changing any ingredients. I simply serve them like the normal way with the usual Sour Cream Pound Cake and with a twist by using natural olive oil instead of butter.
However I did add a little bit of lemon icing instead of just using any confectioneries. You can also add extra home-made whipped cream and top it with cranberries and a final garnish of mint. Consider putting these extra toppings and you are all set to serve your family and your guest in a fashionable way.
So let’s get into the main thing. Here are the ingredients and procedures on how to prepare Sour Cream Pound Cake for the holiday season.
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ⅔ cup sour cream
- ⅔ cup sugar
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- 2½ cups confectioner’s sugar
- Whipped Topping
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1½ cups flour
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 eggs, at room temperature
- ½ cup Olive oil, and 1 teaspoon to grease the pan
- 4 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
And here’s how you do it:
- Pour down Natural virgin oil in a 9″ x 5″ loaf pan and coat the bottom, edges and sides. Use parchment paper to line the pan, and trim the edges if necessary but make sure to leave enough overhangs to easily remove the cake from the pan. Then wipe the remaining olive oil along the paper and set aside.
- In a large basin, whisk together the baking powder, flour and salt, then set aside. In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, sour cream, lemon juice and olive oil until combined.
- Scrape the dry and liquid ingredients and whisk until it smoothen and no more lumps Then put butter in to the prepared pan, and bake it in a preheated oven to 350 degrees for 60-70 minutes or until browned. Use a cake tester and insert it in the center if the cake, it should come out cleans once it is done.
- For 30 minutes allow cake to cool down, then carefully, pull it out of the pan with hanging edges of the parchment paper, and put in a cooling rack for another 30 minutes to cool it down.
- In a large bowl, mix the powdered sugar; with the lemon juice add 1 tbsp at a time while stirring until smooth.
- Make sure to drizzle the icing all over the cake but not too thick so that it won’t clump on top. Allow the icing to set for at least 20-30 minutes before cutting.
- If you need to serve immediately, go on and make your topping. Put cream and sugar on a chilled mixing bowl and beat for 1-2 minutes, add the extract of your choice, and beat for another -2 minutes on a high and see until the soft peaks formed. Be careful not to overbeat or you will end up with clumpy texture.
- And finally top it up with whipped cream and fresh cranberries then garnish with mint. You can also add raspberries and strawberries to add color and flavor. Happy Holidays!
So, that’s it! I guess your Christmas dessert is solved with a delicious Sour Cream Pound Cake. Don’t forget to share this recipe to your friends too. J Happy Holidays!