One my favorite meat is beef and there is handful of ways to roast, cook and serve it. All of which surely are great if you cook it with love and passion. Anyway, I have here one simple recipe of roasted beef. It’s called the perfect cold roast beef. I have tried it in one of the Restaurants in SunValley Idaho. And it was really a great dish, that’s why I decided to research for the recipe and tried it. Though it’s better to serve when chilled, depending on the occasion, you can also serve this hot. Just rest it for about 30 minutes then it’s good to go.
So, let’s get things started with these few ingredients.
2kg (4½lb) rolled topside beef roasting joint
2tbsp light brown soft sugar
1tbsp mustard powder
1 tbsp vegetable oil
And here’s how you prepare it.
- Take the beef off the fridge, and leave it to soften for an hour. We want the meat to come with the room temperature before we start cooking. Allow it to melt off if it’s frozen.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (180°C fan) mark 6.Then take note of the measurement of the whole meat. Use a kitchen paper to pat the meat to make it dry. Now, in a small container, stir all together your ingredients for marinade. Use sugar and mustard powder and rub it all over the whole meat. Heat oil over a high heat in a large frying fan, and fry beef until well browned in all sides.
- The next step is to cover it loosely with a tin foil, and sit it the meat in roasting tin. Make sure to use big enough roasting tin to hold joint. Now, you can roast it in an oven for medium-rare meat or 25min per 500g (1lb 2oz).
- And 15min per 500g (1lb 2oz) for rare meat, 20min per 500g (1lb 2oz) for rare meat. And then roast for another 10mins after the estimate time. Just to be sure, you can use a thermometer to measure the perfect temperature of the meat. Take note, the internal temperature of the beef for medium-rare meat must be 60°C.
- Transfer the beef in a board and leave it till completely cool.
- Afterwards, wrap it with a tin foil, and chill overnight. The following day, take another hour before serving to prepare it perfectly. Slice the beef thinly, fine and smooth, arrange it in a platter for presentation.
- Lastly, serve with colorful garnish. On top of it, put coleslaw along with creamed horseradish and watercress leaves. Then your perfect cold roasted beef is done.
It’s always good to learn new recipes every now and then. Personally, it’s almost a habit for me to try new dish, as frequent as possible. Like the once I have tried a roasted beef in CavaCava restaurant. They have best fusion cuisine on town that I know. That’s why I did a little research on the recipes of their dish. I certainly believe that if you have the passion for great food, you should learn how to cook.